My Heart and Other Black Holes Review

Saturday, August 22, 2015
18336965

My Heart and Other Black Holes
Jasmine Wanga
HarperCollins
February 2015
4/5

Going into this book, I was expecting something completely and totally depressing. For most of the first half of the book, it's just that. However, if you're someone who stays clear of dark books that talks a lot about depression, don't shut down this book just yet. It's surprisingly witty due to the narrator Aysel's sharp sense of humor. This is a different type of book and one that I strongly recommend for a number of reasons.

Aysel is a girl who no longer wants to live. She finally puts her suicide plan into action by going online and finding a suicide partner. She finds Roman, a boy who lives pretty close to her and who is nothing like she pictured once they meet in person. He isn't a geeky looking kid, he is an athletic and attractive boy who seems to have no reason to want to die. However, a family tragedy haunts him and causes him to be determined that he doesn't deserve to live. Once the two get closer, Aysel starts to see all of the dark parts of Roman and still likes him anyway. Is that enough for the two to live?

It's hard to describe it, but Aysel is a one of a kind character. I love how quick on her feet she is, and the way she uses sarcasm and witty comebacks as her weapon of choice. I also loved how the author worked in physics into the plot. Aysel is obsessed with Einstein's theories and is constantly questioning gravity. I found that to be unique and even though I personally am not a fan of Science, I still thought that it was interesting. Roman is something else completely. I love how real and down to earth he seemed. I also liked that he was into art and him drawing Aysel is one of my favorite scenes in the book. My heart breaks for him in terms of why he wants so desperately to die. I just wanted to give him a hug. I enjoyed his relationship with Aysel and watching it grow, despite both of their objections to let anybody in.

The reason why this book didn't receive a perfect rating from me is because of the end. I won't spoil it, but I felt like it wasn't the right route to go considering how the first part was written. Meaning, it just didn't seem in character considering all that was developed in the first half of the book. It's difficult to explain without explicitly stating it, but you'll know what I mean once you read it. Overall though, it's a beautifully written debut that really captures the realities of mental illness in a refreshing and real way. I got seriously wrapped up in the main characters and invested in what was going to happen next to them. I definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a read that will instantly catch your attention.

1 comment:

  1. This book has been on my TBR list since before it came out. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to read it soon.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts