Fictional Friday: Charlie From The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Saturday, August 8, 2015
Fictional Friday is a new feature that I've started on my blog that has one new fictional character every week that I loved. Simple right? Most of them will be from Young Adult books, but I may get adventurous and choose a character from a children's book or adult book some weeks. 


 http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36900000/-Charlie-the-perks-of-being-a-wallflower-36976629-500-500.jpghttp://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6hzp43Jot1r36rqro1_500.jpg
This week I've chosen Charlie from The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. If you haven't already figured it out, this is one of my all time favorite books. Before I list the reasons why I love him, here are some of my favorite Charlie quotes: 

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." 
"So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”  
“It's just that I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don't want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it too.”
"She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time.” 
“It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book.”

Without further ado, here are some of my reasons why I believe that he's such a memorable character: 

He thinks and cares about everythingHis thoughts about the world and love are so thoughtful and mature. It's hard to believe that he's only a freshman in high school. His wisdom goes beyond his years and it's so refreshing to read.

His love for Sam 
He's willing to push aside his love for Sam just to be her friend since he knows that's what she needs. His devotion to her is totally evident throughout the book. Although it was beyond horrifying when he kissed Sam when he was dared to kiss the prettiest girl in the room in front of his own girlfriend, he was simply being honest. Although it frustrated me that he led Mary Elizabeth on in the first place when he clearly only had eyes for Sam, I still get where he's coming from. He tried to forget Sam but he ultimately loved her too much to ever do that.

Unconditional love for his family 
He constantly looks out for his brother and sister. He also cares about his sister's well being when he witnesses her boyfriend hitting her. Although she told him she hated him for telling on the boyfriend, Charlie still loved his sister and looked out for her best interest.

His sensitivity 
Charlie is one male protagonist who is unafraid to show his emotions. He's an emotional person in general and I liked getting the chance to see his vulnerable side since that's pretty rare in most Young Adult books.

Charlie is completely selfless
He always puts his friends and family before himself. Need I say much more?

The quotable quotes
I always enjoy it when the main character says so many amazing and powerful things that you then find yourself constantly quoting.

Love for books 
I appreciated and respected his love for books that really is most prominent due to his English teacher Bill. I like how Charlie not only reads all of the books his teacher gives him, he is constantly learning more about it. Meaning, he doesn't just skim through it, he analyzes every bit of it.

He's open minded 
He doesn't think twice about judging Patrick for his sexuality. He also takes an instant love for The Rocky Horror Picture Show.     

It's safe to say I love this character. Hope you liked my list!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts