Open Road Summer Review

Monday, August 17, 2015
Open Road Summer
Emery Lord
Published by Walker
April 2014
3/5
Quotes:

“You are the only person who can build emotional barriers, but you're also the only person who can topple them. Other people can't knock down the walls you've built, no matter how much they love you. You have to tear them down yourself because there's something worth seeing on the other side.”
“I want to reach back into my history with a grade-school pink eraser, scrubbing away my decisions like mistakes on a math test. Too bad I drew my mistakes in ink.”  
“Because I've recently learned, in a very painful way, that life is short. And I don't want to waste my time with anyone who would make me feel...happy enough." He pauses, searching my face. "I'd rather duke it out with someone who makes me feel everything.”  
“His eyes are somewhere between gray and blue, and his hair is somewhere between brown and blond, and I am somewhere between hostile and attracted.”

I liked this book but not as much as everyone else seems to. Yes, it meets the criteria for a light summer read, but I had some serious issues with the narrator. So it was automatically hard for me to completely connect with the story because of this reason. Like I already mentioned, it seems like I'm in the minority of those that wasn't over the moon for this book. It's very likely that you'll love this book, I'm not discouraging anyone from picking it up. Overall, I think it was a mostly cute and unique read.

Reagan O'Neill needs to escape for the summer after finding her bad news boyfriend cheating on her. She decides her teen superstar best friend Lilah on her tour for the summer. Lilah is also dealing with the heartbreak of no longer being with her longtime boyfriend. Early on in the trip, Lilah finds herself in a predicament so her management encourages her to bring along another teen superstar Matt Finch. Even though he was brought in to be her best friend's "boyfriend," there's an obvious attraction between Matt and Reagan. Will she give in to Matt and end up falling for him?

Lilah or Dee as she is called by those closest to her, is the Taylor Swift character. She's considered a "country" artist but she's also considered a popstar as well. What makes her like Taylor Swift is that they both write songs about people who hurt them. Dee has a string of new songs about her longtime boyfriend who broke up with her. I liked her character and felt like she was just a sweet and fun character. So now I'm going to touch on Reagan, who is really the sole reason I struggled with this book at all. This girl has a serious attitude problem and she blames everyone else for her problems. She just is a negative and judgmental person. What really got to me was the slut shaming that she constantly did. She would put down pretty much every girl that entered the path of Matt, even when she was completely against being with him! It just felt so out of place to have that kind of narrator when the book mostly sends a feminist vibe with the female friendship between Dee and Reagan. It's unfortunate that all of that is destroyed by her attitude.

Okay, I'm pretty much done with ranting about Reagan. Now I'm going to highlight on a big positive about the book for me personally. How can you not love Matt Finch? He's brutally honest with Reagan about his feelings for her from the beginning and I like that he never is indecisive or with anyone else, he knows how he feels and he's came to terms with that. He's also just a downright charming guy who also doubles as a musician. Is it even humanly possible to resist that kind of charm? I think not. Despite my ill feelings towards Reagan, Matt gave me nothing but sweet vibes and I wanted even more of him.

Though it wasn't my all time favorite, I did enjoy reading it. The book has many good parts, the bad just happened to stand out most prominently to me. Anyway, give it a read so you can judge it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts