Mini Review: Until Friday Night

Wednesday, August 19, 2015
22522202

Until Friday Night
Abbi Glines
Simon Pulse
August 25th, 2015
2/5



This isn't going to be a full length review, that's going to be posted on The Young Folks on the release day next week. But I have a lot to say about this book so I figured I might as well post a mini review now just to sort of preview my thoughts.

If you've read any of my other reviews on here, you can probably tell that I typically don't give such low ratings. This one is an exception because of some of the pretty major issues I had with the main characters. If I dislike one of the main characters, the rating is going to automatically be no higher than a 3 for me. In this case, I disliked both of the characters at some point in the novel. I did sympathize with the female character Maggie, but I also felt that she was just as judgmental of the girls at school as the guys. For example, the guys called the girls "sluts" and "whores" constantly and Maggie wasn't much better.

West is probably one of the most unlikable love interests I've ever seen in a YA book. On one hand, I did feel bad that his dad was sick, but it still didn't make sense to me why he was allowed to behave in such a destructive and offputting manner and not get put in his place. I would have much preferred Maggie to overcome her personal trauma and instantly giving West sass and not excusing his behavior.

I found the majority of these characters to be unrelatable and I couldn't connect with them at all. My favorite part of the book was easily when West was called out on his possessive behavior over Maggie. It made me so happy that at least one character wasn't letting him get away with his terrible attitude.

I'm sure handling my rant about this book in mini form is probably easier to handle than the rant in my full length review. Anyway, feel free to check out that review when it's posted. It's going to touch more on the characters and what went wrong for me personally. I'm sure people who enjoy Abbi Glines's New Adult books will likely enjoy this one, but it was just too much for me.

2 comments:

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts