Top Ten Tuesday: Fairytale Retellings

Tuesday, August 4, 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish each Tuesday! This weeks theme is focusing on Ten Fairytale Retellings. Some of these I've read already and some are on my to be read or currently reading list.

1. Cinder 
I'm actually reading this one right now. I've heard nothing but good things about the book so I'm really excited to finally get the chance to read it!

2. Ella Enchanted
This is yet another twist on the classic Cinderella story. However, what makes this one standout is how independent Ella is. She gets things done on her own, for the most part, and she doesn't need a Prince to come and rescue her.

3. Beastly
Beastly is one of the more popular fairytale retellings I can think of off the top of my head. It's not my favorite, but I did enjoy the modern twist on this classic and beautiful story.

4. If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?
So I actually ended up randomly picking up this book at the library back in middle after seeing this title. I ended up totally adoring this completely modern high school take on the classic Cinderella story. Yes, there's been tons and tons of Cinderella retellings over the years, but this one has continued to standout to me because it reads more like a contemporary young adult fiction book than a fairytale retelling.

5. Scarlet
This is the second book in the Cinder series, but it mainly focuses on Little Red Riding Hood. I clearly haven't gotten around to reading this one yet either but it's another that I've heard a lot of good things about!

6. Fairest
From the author of Ella Enchanted, this one is yet another fairytale retelling but this time of Snow White. Aza is our Snow White character here, and I found her to be a charming, funny, talented, and likable protagonist. It might not be as memorable as Ella Enchanted, but it's still a worthwhile read regardless!

7. A Kiss In Time
This book is so sassy and filled with teen angst. It's my personal favorite retelling of the classic fairytale Sleeping Beauty. Alex Flinn is a fantastic writer.

8. Entwined
This one is on my to be read list. I've actually never read any retellings of the Twelve Dancing Princesses so this one got my attention right away.

9. A Curse Dark As Gold
Yet another book I have yet to read. But Rumpelstiltskin is such a freaking cool character to me that I just had to add it here!

10. The Princess Bride
Okay it's not technically a fairytale or a fairytale retelling, but I just couldn't resist since it's such a timeless and creative story.








12 comments:

  1. I'd really like to read the Cinder books. They sound amazing and like you, I've heard nothing but good stuff. My blogging friends keep "insisting" I read them. :)

    Beastly and Ella Enchanted are both really sweet/fun reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Princess Bride! I didn't think of that one. It definitely has a fairytale quality to it, doesn't it?

    I would really like to read the Cinder books at some point. I have the first couple in the series. I just need to make time for them. Ella Enchanted made my list too. I haven't yet read it, but I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh A Curse as Dark as Gold sounds really interesting! Rumpelstiltskin is a unique fairy tale for a retelling! Entwined has a beautiful cover, which really tempts me to pick it up.
    Great List!
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun post idea this week. I love retellings and you picked some good ones. Drop by my blog and sign up for my give-away. It relates to today's meme.

    My TTT Retellings

    ReplyDelete
  5. We share a few here and you know I thought about adding The Princess Bride to mine for the same reason!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex Flinn's books seems to making a lot of the lists for today's Top Ten Tuesday. Seems like I should be adding him to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all things written by Marissa Meyer :) And you are right, Rumpelstiltskin is a very cool character. A couple of storytellers I know tell their own versions of that story, and they either make my weep my eyes out, or just have a heartbreak :) There is a book titled The Rumpelstiltskin Problem, I recommend it wholeheartedly.
    Cheers!

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Cinder series is on my list also! I really want to read them! A Kiss In Time sounds pretty good and I need to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have Cinder, Scarlet, and Beastly on my list! Great minds think alike! Love Ella Enchanted. CLASSIC. Happy Reading :)

    Erica @ Read It. Note It.
    My Top Ten!

    New Follower via Bloglovin :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have added Curse As Dark as Gold to my TBR list after seeing so many people recommend it today! My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again Cinder. I think i really have to get myself to pick that up and read it before Winter comes out to see if i am interested in that series.
    I also have Entwined on my TBR pile for a while, since it came out really.
    But i really loved that we have not even one book in common on our lists, so i have a lot of books from your list to look up and see if i want to read them :)
    Fantastic list :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts