Mini Review: We Were Liars

Sunday, August 30, 2015
16143347

We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Delacorte Press
May 2014
5/5
Quotes:
"Be a little kinder than you have to."
"Do not accept an evil you can change."
“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.” 
"What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love?"
“Someone once wrote that a novel should deliver a series of small astonishments. I get the same thing spending an hour with you.”  
Goodreads Description:
"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE."



I feel like I'm one of the last people to read this book. I waited so long because I wasn't sure what to make of all the hype, plus I've heard some mixed reviews as well. Honestly, I don't really see what the problem anyone would have with this book but obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it just might not be your cup of tea. However, if you're a fan of suspenseful novels with an ending that you won't see coming, check this one out.

There isn't much I can say about this plot without ruining everything. It's best to go into the novel as blind as you possibly can. I'm warning you, don't read ahead or check out any spoilers online. You'll enjoy the book a lot more if you know nothing.

I think part of what makes this book so incredible is the storytelling. E. Lockhart's narration is definitely different from most of the books that I read. Yes, there's a lot of Young Adult books out there that has family drama, but there's still something extremely unique about this particular story and it has to be read for you to truly get it. If you can't tell, I'm a huge fan of it and I'm honestly still trying to make sense of everything that I read. It's one of those books that you find yourself constantly thinking about and just completely blown away by. I don't know about you guys, but I love books that have plot twists. Sometimes I find myself disappointed by books that advertise themselves as having twists and turns, but this one didn't let me down in the slightest.

If you're like me and have yet to pick this book up for whatever reason, I suggest you give it a try. It's an easy read, you're likely to devour it in one sitting if you're anything like me. There's a lot that I could say about this but as I stated earlier, I don't want to ruin anything. This is one of those books that is filled with complicated and flawed characters and you can't help but get wrapped up in their stories. If you do read this or if you already have, leave me a comment and let me know so we can talk about it! I'm dying to have a heart to heart with someone about We Were Liars.

1 comment:

  1. I've read nothing but good things about this book bit for some reason I'm still on the fence. Hmm maybe I just need to throw caution to the wind and just do it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts