Heartbreakers Review

Tuesday, August 11, 2015
25266817 
The Heartbreakers
Ali Novak
Sourcebooks Fire
August 4th 2015
3/5

Ali Novak is a fairly popular author on Wattpad. Honestly, I'm a pretty big fan of the work she's published on there. This book is specifically appealing due to the easygoing romance and also a steady plot that gradually progresses throughout the novel. The characters are also all very well developed and will land books of their own as apart of The Heartbreak Chronicles. 

Stella, Drew, and Cara are triplets. Cara has non-Hodgkins lymphoma and is constantly in and out of the hospital. Drew and Stella decide to do something special for her 18th birthday and get an autograph from her favorite boy band, the Heartbreakers. Next thing you know, Drew and Stella are hanging out with the band and Stella gets a one of a chance opportunity to go on tour with the band as a photographer. Stella falls in love with the lead singer, Oliver, but she must decide if she's willing to take all the baggage that comes with dating the biggest heartthrob in the world. 

I think all of the characters are well written but I was particularly drawn to the members of the Heartbreakers. Each of the boys had a quirky personality that made you want to know more about them. There's Alec, Xander, Oliver, and J.J., who enjoy pranks but they are also a close group and they truly support one another. 

My biggest problem came from Oliver and Stella because of the insta-love that went down. I didn't like that the two were kissing instantly after they first met. It just didn't feel realistic in the slightest to me. However, the romance does gradually get better, despite some moments from Oliver that made me question him. Oliver isn't my favorite book boyfriend by any means, but I still couldn't resist him. He's definitely swoon-worthy in many different ways. 

I liked how this book focuses on friendship and family. There's a lot of information about cancer and I felt like Novak certainly did her research. I loved the relationship between Cara, Drew, and Stella. Overall, this was a decent book that made for a refreshing summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts