Anna and the French Kiss Review

Wednesday, August 5, 2015
Anna and the French Kiss
Stephanie Perkins
Dutton Juvenile 
December 2010
5/5
Quotes: 
"For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home." 
"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you." 
"Will you please tell me you love me? I'm dying here." 
"I'm saying I'm in love with you! I've been in love with you this whole bleeding year!"
“You say that I'm afraid of being alone, and it's true. I am. And I'm not proud of it. But you need to take a good look at yourself, Anna, because I am NOT the only one in this room who suffers this problem.” 

This is an absolutely compelling Young Adult novel, one of the best I've ever read honestly. It's the combination of the setting, characters, and the plot as a whole. I feel like I'm the last person on planet Earth to read this book, but I'm glad that I finally got around to picking it up. If you're also like me and pretty much live under a rock and didn't read this, make sure you get a copy of it soon, you won't regret it.

Anna is a rising senior living in Georgia. She has a great best friend and a relationship that's just about to happen. All of that is put on hold when her father ships her off to Paris to attend boarding school. While most kids would love to be sent there, she longs for her life in the states. Then she meets Étienne St. Clair, the beautiful and smart British boy who takes her breath away right from the start. The only problem is that he has a serious girlfriend. 

If you take away all of the supporting characters and just leave Anna and Étienne, there's still a nicely developed plot. The scenes these two characters share are adorable and there's Paris in the background, what else could you possibly need? Anyway, I'm going to focus on them only just because I believe they are clearly the most significant. I enjoyed the supporting characters but I was always just waiting for the next scene between our favorite couple. I can't stress how charming Étienne is. Perkins did a terrific job with creating this charismatic guy. Anna got on my nerves at times because she whines about literally everything, but our boy manages to bring out a different side of her. The romance in the book is masterfully crafted and I adored everything about it from start to finish. 

If you haven't been able to tell yet, I'm actually in love with this book. I don't think it is everyone's cup of tea, but I don't know many people who didn't love it. So if you like Young Adult books with a charming love interest, the beautiful setting of the city of love, some hilarious drama, and an awkward yet endearing female narrator, this book is right up your alley! I can't recommend it enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts