Maybe Someday Review

Friday, September 11, 2015
17788403

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover
March 2014
3/5
Quotes:
“Sometimes in life, we need a few bad days in order to keep the good ones in perspective.”  
“We try so hard to hide everything we're really feeling from those who probably need to know our true feelings the most.”  
“To me, lyrics are harder to write when you have to invent the feelings behind them. That's when lyrics take a lot of thought, when they aren't genuine.”  
"People try to bottle up their emotions, as if it's somehow wrong to have natural reactions to life.”  

I've read a lot of Colleen Hoover novels lately. I love her writing style, it really involves you in the characters and you truly become invested in them. As you probably already know if you've read my previous reviews, I'm obsessed with music. I'm not a musician, but I love just listening to a wide variety of genres. What I loved most about this book was how music was such a major part of the story. I've read several books that have included song lyrics, but this one took it a step further by providing actual songs you can listen to while reading. If you enjoy music, this book might be worth a read for you also. 

Sydney is a twenty-two year old college student who is fairly satisfied with her life. She has a nice job, safe boyfriend she loves, and a best friend who is also her roommate. Everything comes crumbling down when she finds out that said boyfriend has been cheating on her with her said best friend/roommate. At the same time, she also loses her job. She then seeks safety in the mysterious boy that lives next door who plays the guitar out on his balcony. Sydney begins writing lyrics to go with his music, and Ridge allows her to stay with him and his roommates. Sydney and Ridge are supposed to have no future as a couple, but will the music connect the duo anyways? 

I had some issues with Sydney, especially her attitudes towards other women. She obviously is still not over what her best friend did, but that's not an excuse for her to judge others. When she gets to Ridge's apartment, she meets a girl in a Hooters shirt and immediately makes assumptions about her. Yes, the girl (who turns out to be one of her new roommates) is rude to Sydney and makes her own judgments, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Ridge was really sweet and I loved how passionate he is about music. It really surprised me when we first discover that Ridge is deaf. I felt like that added a unique and refreshing take on the musician thing. However, I wanted to shake Ridge more than once for how he shuts Sydney out. He ultimately redeems himself in the end, but I still wasn't a fan of some of his actions. 

The romance between Sydney and Ridge is more than a little bit complicated and I had serious doubts about it throughout the book. Ridge has a girlfriend of five years, and for the larger part of the book, he is dead set on his feelings for her instead of what he feels for Sydney. You also can probably already tell that I hate love triangles, so why did I bother with this one at all? I wanted to give it a chance because I like Colleen Hoover and the plot being about music drew me in. I'd also read reviews saying that the love triangle didn't really feel like a true love triangle. Meaning, there was never really him making a huge choice about one girl over the other. I still had bad feelings about it in general, but I did see the chemistry between Sydney and Ridge. It just would've been a better love story if the girlfriend was out of the picture completely. I will say that I absolutely loved how Ridge and Sydney were able to communicate with one another. 

The story had both its positives and negatives about it. Maybe Someday is a book that I'll remember partly because I can't get the songs from it out of my head. I also enjoyed several of the supporting characters and felt like they added something more to the story. In the end, this may not be a good choice for those of you that hate love triangles. But I'm mostly glad that I gave this one a read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts