Biggest Flirts Review

Saturday, September 12, 2015
Biggest Flirts
Jennifer Echols
Simon Pulse
May 2014

 I think I'm just too old for this book. This is really weird because the book has mature content, including sexual content from pretty much the first chapter. I mean, it's nothing totally graphic, but it just seemed weird since I had the impression that this was supposed to be meant for like middle grade/freshman in high school. The drama that fills the pages from the first page fully maintains it's speed until the last. If young adult contemporary romance is your kind of thing, you might give this one a shot. I typically enjoy the genre and still found that this one wasn't for me, but Jennifer Echols is still a decent writer, maybe you'll personally enjoy her style.

Tia is just about to start her senior year of high school and has decided that she has no time for relationships. She only looks for casual hookups, nothing more than that. She's never had a real boyfriend because of her fear from seeing what happened to her sisters who got seriously involved with boys and subsequently were knocked up by them. At one of the last parties of the summer, she meets the new kid from Minnesota, Will Matthews. Things immediately heat up between the two on that first night, but Tia takes a step back when she realizes that he wants more than just a casual hook up. After she turns him down, he decides to ask out somebody else. Everything gets even more awkward between Tia and Will when the pair are both voted Biggest Flirts of their senior class.

I wasn't a fan of Tia. I felt like their just wasn't enough growth involved with her character. She was constantly changing her mind and looking to pick a fight with Will, which never failed to annoy me. Will wasn't much better though. I didn't find him to be all that swoonworthy. Honestly, I actually liked Sawyer, the boy who friends with benefits with Tia better. I'm glad that he's going to have his own story though because he and Tia aren't a good match for each, but I just liked his character better than Will's all around. Will had just been through a pretty bad breakup, the girl he loved from back home cheated on him with his best friend and he found out through pictures. With that being said, it didn't make any sense to me why he would be rushing to get into a new relationship if he had just had his heart stomped on. Not to mention the fact that Tia and Will are constantly arguing about everything from competing for being the captain of the drum team, to about what boy Tia is flirting with. It was simply exhausting how much drama they started with one another. Having two unlikable main characters obviously results in a disaster for me personally.

To be honest, I ended up skimming through a lot of it because I was so ready for it to be over. I know that probably sounds harsh, but this wasn't a realistic book about high school in my opinion. I've read many great ones, but this one missed the mark by quite a bit. I didn't know anybody in high school who acted the way that these kids did. There was a lot of relationship drama of course, but never at this type of level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts