On the Jellicoe Road Review

Monday, July 27, 2015

1162022

















On the Jellicoe Road
Melina Marchetta
Penguin Australia
August 2006
5/5
Quotes: 
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.” 
“If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
"Not driving any more.” 
“But grief makes a monster out of us sometimes . . . and sometimes you say and do things to the people you love that you can't forgive yourself for.” 
“Is a person worth more because they have someone to grieve for them?”  
“No," I say, looking up at Griggs. "It's actually because my heart belongs to someone else." And if I could bottle the look on his face, I'd keep it by my bedside for the rest of my life.” 

This was originally published in Australia under the title "On the Jellicoe Road" but was shortened when released in the United States two years later as "Jellicoe Road." Regardless of what the title is, it's an amazing book and I can't believe it took me so long to read it. If you haven't read it yet either, I definitely recommend picking up a copy soon!

It's difficult to summarize the book without giving too much away about it. Honestly, it's best to walk into this novel not knowing much, it'll be much more mysterious and suspenseful that way. What I will say is that it revolves around Taylor, a girl who attends the Jellicoe School. She is the leader of the boarders at her school and leads them through the territory wars which are against two other groups: the Cadets and the Townies. Her biggest challenge is the terrifying and mysterious leader of the Cadets, Jonah Griggs. Taylor's world gets complicated when Hannah, her closest ally, disappears without warning. All Taylor has as a guide is a manuscript that Hannah wrote that Taylor slowly realizes is about her own life. She uses it to not only find Hannah, but to find out more about her own past and secrets as well.

I loved Taylor way more than I initially anticipated. She's a headstrong character who also is witty, funny, smart, and incredible. I really loved watching her evolve and mature throughout the novel. She's one of the most well written young adult heroine that I've seen in awhile. Additionally, I loved Jonah Griggs, but who doesn't? I also thought her friends Raffy and Chaz were great and fascinating supporting characters. I found myself wanting to know even more about them and about their own stories. The four characters that are the center of Hannah's manuscript are also hilarious and fun characters that you can't but love right away.

The relationship between the tough Jonah Griggs and the sassy Taylor Markham is charming and endearing. I loved the banter and how this relationship had such a slow build up. The two also have a history that is pretty difficult to discuss and simply needs to be read. I will say that the truth about this gradually comes out at the best and sweetest times possible. I think the best part about Jonah Griggs is that he doesn't say memorable things to Taylor that make him extremely swoon worthy like Augustus Water or Park Sheridan, but his actions say it all. He does things to show her how much he cares, which is what any girl wants from a guy.

This is one of the best books that I've read in a long time. It's safe to say that I've never read anything like it and I don't really expect to read anything like it again. This book surprised me by how fascinating it is. It draws you in from the very first page and I love books that manage to hold your attention from start to finish. Another highlight is that it can be read in just one sitting, it's an easy read and I promise you won't be able to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts