Every Day Review

Tuesday, July 28, 2015


https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356993940l/13262783.jpg
Every Day
David Levithan
Random House
August 2012
4/5
Quotes: 
“There will always be more questions. Every answer leads to more questions. The only way to survive is to let some of them go.” 
“People are rarely as attractive in reality as they are in the eyes of the people who are in love with them. Which is, I suppose, as it should be.” 
"This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it’s just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be.” 
 “I am a drifter, and as lonely as that can be, it is also remarkably freeing. I will never define myself in terms of anyone else. I will never feel the pressure of peers or the burden of parental expectation. I can view everyone as pieces of a whole, and focus on the whole, not the pieces. I have learned to observe, far better than most people observe. I am not blinded by the past or motivated by the future. I focus on the present because that is where I am destined to live.”
“It's one thing to fall in love. It's another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a responsibility toward that love.” 

I've read a lot of amazing books lately, and this one is definitely one of the best. I think what makes it such an incredible story is Levithan's talented writing ability combined with this unique concept. It works out to be one of the most mind blowing books I personally have ever read.

Every Day is about A, who has no known gender or identity, but isn't the devil either. A spends every day in a different body and he never finds himself in the same body twice. This means A never develops any relationships, family, or unique memories. Things change when A lands in the body of Justin and falls in love with his girlfriend Rhiannon. Every day A wakes up as someone different, sometimes a girl, sometimes a boy. No matter who's life he is living, Rhiannon is still who he wants to be near. What follows is a beautiful, tragic, and complicated look at the true meaning of love and relationships.

A is our lovable and insightful narrator. I love hearing things from his point of view because he describes everything that happens on a day to day basis with such careful observation. A is one of the most standout characters I've seen in awhile. Our other main character is Rhiannon, who is sort of a tough character to totally figure out. We actually get to see her side of all these events in the companion novel, "Another Day" which is coming out this fall. I actually already have a copy so I will be reviewing it soon! Anyway, A sees Rhiannon as a sad girl who is dating this douchebag who doesn't treat her right. I think we can tell a lot about her simply by how quickly she trusts A. From what we can tell, she's a fascinating character and I can't wait to learn more about her.

The relationship between A and Rhiannon is obviously ridiculously complicated. However, I think it's still really beautiful how real it seems. They don't have an easy path, they encounter more road blocks than most, but I like how the issues weren't your typical YA couple drama. I can't reveal much else about the relationship itself, but let's just say that I loved it.

This is such a mind blowing concept for a book and David Levithan executes it in such a natural fashion. Whenever I would attempt to put this book down, I'd find myself thinking about it. Even now that I've finished it, I'm still thinking about everything that happened. To put it simply, it's a great read and I doubt I'll come across another book that is so unique and haunting in the best way. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts