Fangirl Review

Saturday, July 18, 2015
16068905
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
St. Martin’s Press
September 2013
5/5
Quotes:

“To really be a nerd, she’d decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.”
“How do you not like the Internet? That’s like saying, ‘I don’t like things that are convenient. And easy. I don’t like having access to all of mankind’s recorded discoveries at my fingertips. I don’t like light. And knowledge.”
“In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can’t Google.)”
“Just… isn’t giving up allowed sometimes? Isn’t it okay to say, ‘This really hurts, so I’m going to stop trying’?”
“It sets a dangerous precedent.”
“For avoiding pain?”
“For avoiding life.”
“You’ve read the books?”
“I’ve seen the movies.”
Cath rolled her eyes so hard, it hurt. (Actually.) (Maybe because she was still on the edge of tears. On the edge, period.) “So you haven’t read the books.”
“I’m not really a book person.”
“That might be the most idiotic thing you’ve ever said to me”

This book was a very sweet surprise for me. I’ve held off reading this book for nearly two years now and I’m not completely sure why. I think I held Eleanor & Park to such high standards that I was afraid this one wouldn’t live up to it. However, Rainbow Rowell is an excellent writer and her second novel was honestly just as great as the first.

Cath is going away to college and her best friend who also happens to be her twin, Wren, doesn’t want to be her roommate. So she’s forced to room with an older roommate named Reagan and her boyfriend Levi. Cath has always been an introvert and she turns to writing fanfiction about the magical Simon Snow. On the other hand, Wren turns to partying and boys, slowing drifting away from her twin sister and the fanfiction they used to write together. Cath struggles with worrying about her single dad and his health issues. While she also must face the fact that her mother left them when the girls were just eight years old. Gradually, Cath leans on the bubbly and outgoing Levi and her walls slowly come down.

Cath was by far one of the most relatable characters I’ve ever seen. As an introvert myself, I see myself in Cath as she gets lost in her writings and struggles with the truth of whether or not fanfiction is plagiarism. Levi is one of those fictional characters who you instantly swoon over. He isn’t the most popular guy on the college campus, but he’s got an incredible personality. Rowell describes him as someone who is always smiling and that his presence alone instantly lights up a room. Another character I loved was Cath’s roommate Reagan. I love that she bonds with Cath at the dining hall by judging everyone who walks by. She’s a sassy and memorable secondary character. Wren is a character who you gradually warm up to, it’s obvious that she loves her twin sister, sometimes she just needs a break. I loved the twins dad, he had a great deal of wit about him and I appreciated all of the pop culture references.

The romance between Cath and Levi happens at a realistic speed. The two begin as friends then it slowly but surely turns into more. I honestly didn’t completely see it coming since it built so much, I could barely even tell that he liked Cath. I like the pairing between them since they are totally different people. Like they always say, opposites attract and you don’t get more opposite than Cath and Levi.

This book is an enjoyable read that you won’t want to end. It’s safe to say that I wish the story of Cath and Levi didn’t end here. I think that anyone could read and love this book, but I think that nerdy teen girls could probably relate to it the best. If you’re like me and haven’t read this book, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Go Read A Book
Template by These Paper Hearts